What do you put on your sandwich? Some ketchup, mustard, or even some mayo? Mayonnaise is found all over but why buy it when you can make it? Making your own mayonnaise allows you to flavor it the way you want. And you control what goes in it (so none of that hydrogenated or preservative stuff 🙂 Although homemade mayo doesn’t last as long as store bought, it’s a bit healthier for you and you can have fun making it. Homemade mayonnaise is a better alternative than store bought mayo and is very simple to make.
Here’s what you need:
- 18 oz of olive oil- you can use other kinds of oil but olive oil is the healthiest choice (be sure to have some extra handy as the oil is what makes the mayonnaise thicken)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon/lime juice
- Any other flavorings you want- Add some dry mustard or white pepper. Or even go green and add some vegetables.
That’s all the ingredients you’ll need to make about 18 fl oz of mayonnaise.
However, some equipment is also recommended:
- A stand mixer- you can use a whisk, but trust me a stand mixer saves a lot of work and time
- A spouted measuring cup (this is important for the incorporation of the oil)
- A glass container to hold the finished mayonnaise
Measure out the sugar and the salt into a small bowl.
Add the 2 egg yolks to the mixture as well.
Now it’s time to add the oil! Remember to put the oil into a spouted measuring cup. This is important because when adding the oil, pour it slowly down the side of the bowl. Do not just pour it in because the oil particles will not break up as well and that is an essential step in making mayonnaise.
Beat for about 8 to 10 minutes or however long it takes you to pour the oil down the side of the bowl. It’s kind of a boring step just standing over the mixer, pouring oil but it will be well worth it in the end. That’s what the consistency should look like. If the mixture is too runny, keep on adding oil down the side if the bowl. That’s what I had to do the first time I made mayonnaise. If the mixture is too thick, add some water. See what you like.
Well there you have it, Healthier Homemade Mayonnaise for your next sandwich. Be sure to keep this refrigerated right after
you make it. It should last for about 2 and a half weeks but I’m not sure it won’t be gone by then 😉 Make this for a picnic or just keep it on hand. Now you never have to buy mayo at the store again! 🙂